Cindy Header

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An Oil Painting with Basic Grey


Who says a painter can't be a papercrafter too? When I first saw my mother's collection of Basic Grey papers, I fell in love with them. I painted this picture for my mom, although I am not sure whther the painted picture or the surrounding area is the real focus. It definitely turned out to be a mixed media piece.

The bedroom I was creating the painting for is decorated in rich fall colors. I painted the bare tree against a colorful autumn sunset. I framed the painting with some wooden moldings. The outside area was first distressed with a mixture of paints and inks, and then I placed papers from a Basic Grey Sublime paper pad surrounding the painting. I then stamped leaf images with paint using large foam stamps I found at Michael's. The top layer is real autumn leaves I had collected on a drive through the countryside and had preserved with sealant.

I may not be a scrapbooker, but I can appreciate a great artistic paper when I see one and find a way to incorporate it into something creative!
Thanks for coming by. I am new to the bloggin world and appreciate your finding me here. Come back again to see what I have been up to. In November I am going to be a guest designer for the fantastic online papercrafting store Paper Maniac, so I will have lots of unique ornaments to share!

1 comments:

Patti said...

Wow, Cindy. What a wonderful painting! I love how you incorporated the Basic Grey papers and the leaves. Your mother must be very, very proud of you!

Post a Comment